|Version 15 (modified by 11 years ago) ( diff ),|
Blueprint for Mobile Clients
We want clients on Mobile devices to be able to talk to Sahana Eden servers.
The simplest way to do this is to provide a layout for the web application suitable for smaller screens: BluePrintCSS
Ideally, though, they should have local storage for use completely offline & then be able to sync back to the server using whatever connectivity becomes available:
- compressed multi-part SMS to get maximal throughput
- forms should be updatable via SMS
- photos should stay offline until the phone has better connectivity, but then the photo needs to be used to update the same record
- J2ME eedocs:
- Python docs:
- J2ME eedocs:
Using the open XForms standard means that we can support handsets using both Android & J2ME.
- Written in Django, so should be easy to port to Sahana Eden:
- Written in GWT, so includable in Eden as a simple HTML page:
XForms can be submitted using SMS by including the encoding format within the XForm so that client & server agree on the encoding:
OpenDataKit have a suite of tools to use on Android.
- UserGuidelinesMobile - how to use ODK Collect with Sahana Eden
- Android Development Environment
- OpenRosa - joint project between ODK & JavaRosa
There are 2 APIs for sending SMS. 1 of which automatically splits up larger messages into multi-part SMS.
Documentation on the current implementation is here: http://wiki.sahanafoundation.org/phase2/doku.php/dev:j2meclient
- This needs updating to the latest version of JavaRosa
This supports using Mesh4j to do synchronisation via SMS:
Another XForms/J2MEPolish client (Xfolite):
KUIX can be used to develop lightweight applications which work across may handhelds & forms can be customised easily via XML/CSS:
Old, un-maintained J2ME client for the PHP back-end, which just uses XML-RPC (=> requires Internet):
Sahana Software Foundation have a developer license which can be used by anyone interested in developing this.
Adding touch support to OpenLayers:
Taking the Map offline:
- iPhone: http://www.offmaps.com
FrontlineForms is a proprietary add-on for FrontlineSMS allowing a mobile Java client to connect to FrontlineSMS and share data with it.
- Global Relief Technologies