|Version 13 (modified by 12 years ago) ( diff ),|
Initial work done by by Zubin Mithra (zubin71) Followup work done by Michael Matthews (mmatthews)
A python module for a geolocator using
- Google API
- Yahoo API
Input: service_name, location name
Output format: JSON (easy front end parsing)
Basic Google/Yahoo webservice calls are in
These have been tied to the front-end Location Selector.
GeoNames support needs adding (there is some GeoNames functionality in S3GIS).
Output most likely to be used in: OpenLayers
A simple controller function would be nice to access the module classes
- functionality for BBOX
- provision to get results from all services
- provision to get results in multiple formats(xml, JSON, kml)
- support caching
- administration option to selection the geocoding service (Google, Yahoo, or both).
- geonames tie-ins in the location selector
- better hierarchical selector fill-in for selected results. That is, fill in the country and province/state. Filling in the country will require translating the two or three-letter country code to the real country name that appears int the hierarchy.
- Make the Google and Yahoo controller services merely wrappers around the more robust geocoding classes (per a comment in those controller).
- Review of Geocoders: http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.com/2010/03/open-source-geocoders.html
Note: See TracWiki for help on using the wiki.