|Version 1 (modified by 12 years ago) ( diff ),|
Help for Developers Migrating from Django
Sahana Eden is developed using Web2Py.
Web2Py was inspired by Django, amongst others, but redesigned to improve on it:
- from Django to web2py
- Coding Django "polls" tutorial in web2py
The basic MVC approach is the same with Models, Views & Controllers.
Web2Py is easier to create new pages in:
- Automatic database migrations (by default, can be disabled)
- No need to explicitly add routes to controller functions without arguments
- No need to import core modules in each page - they are automatically available
The execution model is:
- All Models are loaded, in alphabetical order
- The Controller is loaded
- The View is parsed with a Dict of vars you pass to it & the Global vars (Session/Request/Response)
Web2Py uses DAL instead of an ORM - this is lower-level with more SQL-like syntax.
- it is possible to use SQLAlchemy models with Web2Py but this isn't recommended within Sahana Eden