|Version 5 (modified by 12 years ago) ( diff ),|
Google Doc Sprint
Google is hosting a doc sprint, 17th - 21st October, prior to the 2011 GSoC Summit, to produce or improve documentation for selected GSoC organizations. A proposal for Sahana was accepted, Michael, Shikhar, Leslie, Dominic, and Fran will be attending.
Quick Start Guide
Part of the event will be the production of a "quick start guide". Please add suggestions here for organization and contents.
Wiki Docs for Developers
- How things work
- How things are linked together
- Integrate back-end framework with front end interface
There may also be work on the online docs, i.e. this wiki. Please record here any gaps you've encountered in the online docs, or any parts that are out of date, or anything unclear. Of course, you can also fix those things. ;-)
- Developer installation instructions for Mac needed -- Macs are increasingly popular among devs.
- Order of production installation instructions seems inverted -- one must navigate into pages for specific types of web server setup to find parts that cover installation of the actual software, e.g. Web2py, Python and dependencies, Eden.
- Production installation links for Windows Server don't include installation of the actual software.
Wiki Docs for User
- Screen casts are good
- Provide guidance for GCI students to produce more documentation - including simulations
- Useful for:
- For developers (context)
- For testers
- For users (although these will often need to be adapted for specific business processes/context)
Is there a way to automatically generate guides & presentation for use in trainings and printing from our wiki content
FOSS for a Better World Guide
- (Humanitarian / Development / Health / Environment)
- This could be a project agnostic guide, probably more aimed at the users of FOSS, rather than the developers.
- Basically it would contain all the information which I wish non-techies understood when I was working with them:
- Information Management basics
- Technology Options (Maps, Mobile, SMS)
- How to specify System/User Requirements
- IT Project Cycle
- Integrating different systems (XML).
- Just a small book 30-60 pages, easy to digest, pretty diagrams & colors…
- Something I've come across before is: http://www.ecbproject.org/GoodEnoughGuide - different topic, but same audience and type of document.