|Version 48 (modified by 8 years ago) ( diff ),|
Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) Code-fest
WE NEED PROGRAMMERS AND DOMAIN EXPERTS (but not limited to, free for anyone to attend)
Place: Orion IT City Park
Date: Thursday 19 June 2014 9AM onwards
- Develop a Sahana (OData-like) S3XML data structure to CRUD pictographs used in alerting. The teams will determine the optimal set of CAP elements to build in to the HTTP RESTful Request APIs. Thereafter, the CAP Editor, Mobile CAP Tool, and ITU CAP Software will use the APIs to publish a message with the pictograph
- Establish a set of parameters for exchanging measurement data; first document the norms in the Sahana wiki; then enhance each of the CAP-enabled tools to use the parameter values to change the visualization (e.g. flash flood water height to display the inundation region on a map).
- Emulate a Google Alerthub test base for experimenting with RSS/Atom feeds for a Common Operating Picture; using the Sahana-Eden’s Crisis Map with spatial and temporal filtering capabilities.
We are applying a Goal Improvement HCI Methodology is to experiment with enhancing software components for interchanging various alerting message between the CAP-enabled software tools. For such we have identified the following
|Software tool name||coding platform||team contact||documentation|
|SAMBRO||Python/Web2Py/PostgreSQL||Nuwan Waidyanatha, Francis Boon , Dominic Konig||CAP Broker Blueprint|
|CAP Editor||Java||Eliot Christian||documentation included|
|Mobile publisher||HTML5/JS||Art Botterell||CAPTools on GitHub|
|CAP ITU Software||Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP)||Isuru Ilangakoon||other documentation - based Single Language CAP Publisher and Subscriber|
Intended coding and related activities
(A) Pictographs database and APIs
(A.1) Introduce the teams to some of the identifies pictograph repositories: UNOCHA, NHS,
(A.2) Research the set of alert specific pictographs and relevant icons to create alerting pictographs for the hazards: volcano, flash floods, and cyclones
(A.3) Create the pictographs to be filtered by a limited set of enumerated CAP elements such as urgency, severity, certainty, response, and category; additionally, alerting pictographs would be further customized for event (types), headlines, and instructions.
(A.4) Build a MVC in Sahana Eden to CRUD the set of pictographs; then provide a RESTful API to request for a CAP message specific pictograph
(A.5) Each of the CAP-enabled tools would provide the HTML to display a frame with the pictograph received through the Sahana Eden RESTful API.
(B) Validating parameters carrying scientific data
(B.1) Identify 5 to 10 sets of, hazard event specific, scientific data
(B.2) Develop a data structure for managing relationships between the various ordered encoding
(B.3) Build the API for CAP publishers to validate their scientific data values
(B.4) Test case ???
(C) Emulating the Alerthub
(C) Emulating the Alerthub (C.1) Build an API in the Sahana-Eden CAP Broker that would allow for authorized users to register a CAP message contained Atom/RSS feed.
(C.2) Let the four other CAP-enabled software tools register their CAP RSS/Atom feeds
(C.3) Integrate the Crisis Mapping module (GSoC 2014) to enable visualization of the CAP messages received from the other four CAP-enabled software tools
(C.4) Offer the service in Sahana-Ede demo site as a tool for CAP implementers to use Sahana-Eden Alerthub Emulator for testing before directly integrating real-live feeds with Google’s Alerthub
- Francis Boon, SSF Product Development Committee Chair
- Dominic Konig, SSF Standards/Interoperability Program Committee
- Eliot Christian, CAP Program Committee Chair, WMO
- Elysa Jones, OASIS EM-TC Chair
- Nuwan Waidyanatha, SSF Standards/Interoperability Program Committee Chair
- Nuwan Waidyanatha, Sahana Software Foundation Standards & Interoperability Chair and LIRNEasia Senior Research Fellow