|Version 44 (modified by 9 years ago) ( diff ),|
This page looks at ways we can extend the Internationalisation options within Sahana Eden.
Production Options are defined within DeveloperGuidelines/Internationalisation
User perspective is: UserGuidelines/Localisation
- Pootle integration
- Deprecated strings must not be merged back into ".py" language files when merging from pootle.
- Setting up a separate sub-project on Pootle for a deployment
- Upload .po file
- from URL as well as file (e.g. http://pootle.sahanafoundation.org/pootle/export/eden/fr/fr.po)
- Add ability to enable/disable menu options (make this a DB table rather than a deployment_setting?)
- Think about how uploaded files can not conflict with updates from Version Control (currently uploaded updates will be wiped during upgrades)
- Exclude all templates other than current one by default (option to include all templates, defaulting to off)
- Default list of modules to the ones which are active in the running template
- List of modules shouldn't come from list of controllers (e.g. misses translate itself!)
Exclude Unit Tests folder Exclude all full paths (2nd occurrence+ is giving full path)
- Include certain prepop CSV columns (for T(record.field))
Don't include vars - e.g. T(r.name) shouldn't add "r.name" to the translation file
- Rewrite admin.py translate() so that only opt3 is a REST controller for translate_language (no need for an opt)
- All other opts should be separate controllers
- Online help to explain that the local languages/code.py will be updated & that uploaded files will be merged
- Online help to explain 'core files'
- Copy code from TranslateToolkit internally to avoid having external dependencies & launching a shell
- Extend web2py2po/po2web2py to support translator comments
def translate(self, message, symbols): """ user ## to add a comment into a translation string the comment can be useful do discriminate different possible translations for the same string (for example different locations) T(' hello world ') -> ' hello world ' T(' hello world ## token') -> 'hello world' T('hello ## world ## token') -> 'hello ## world' """
- Babel - good toolkit to combine with GNU/gettext
- LaunchPad Translations - access to Ubuntu community
- GoogleTranslate can be used to help translators get started, but needs humans to make cultural and linguistic refinements
- Web2Py plugin for this: http://www.web2py.com/plugins/default/translate
- Google ta3reeb - Arabic 'keyboard' using Latin characters
- MS Localisation Design Pattern: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd129504%28v=VS.85%29.aspx
- If needing to be able to handle alternate word order with dynamic strings then wrap in XML():
- Databases store Unicode characters as 2+ bytes, so string, length=20 may limit to just 10 characters:
- UTF-8 encoding in Controllers:
- Date fields:
- Working across Timezones:
- Paragraph Translations:
- Currency Formatting:
- 18:48 onwards has relevant discussion...