|Version 1 (modified by 9 years ago) ( diff ),|
BluePrint: User Interface
Table of Contents
- Users should be able to easily navigate to their desired functionality
- Users should be presented with the minimum possible number of navigation options / menu items (while still being able to easily navigate to their desired functionality)
- There should be a standard layout between different "resources"
- Page Elements which require heavy server load (Maps, Advanced Search Forms, etc) should only be loaded when they are needed
- It should be clear to a user what a specific page is required for
Create Read Update Delete (CRUD) (+List Search) Page Layout
Some designs for improving the page layout have been documented and discussed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15TGk9H_iFKIz2VdTeOM6A38Sht0KTFP9aM51aqeLP30/edit
This is a draft list of some tasks which could be implemented to improve the page layouts: Easy
- List pages should be replaced with Search pages
- All Search pages should have a single text search on their simple search form
- There should be a button to show a (pre-loaded) create form on the search page
- Records should open in read view by default
- There should be a button to toggle between the read view and an edit view
- When a record is saved (updated) the next page should be the read view for that record.
- The advanced search for should only load when it is viewed
- There should be a button to toggle between the rheader and an edit form
- When an item is opened from a list, it should be loaded by JS on top of the list page. When it is closed, the list should refresh to show the changes to the item (Or is there a better way to achieve this?)
Module Index Pages
There is a draft design document here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EKt6lSs1d2kuyCfCM8hQZdeL2zfCJ2JKvPU-dm81TUQ/edit with some ideas for module page content.
- Predefined DIV classes to be able to create 2-5 panes in which content can be inserted
- Simple Search box which doesn't display the unfiltered results by default & opens both search results &/or Advanced Search in a separate page
- 'Top 5' either Actionable Items or FYI 'recently added/modified' for one or more resources (with hyperlinks to their details), with a 'More' button to see the full list
- KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
- Maps only included where they add value - e.g. 'Recent Incidents' clearly adds value, whereas 'My Warehouses' far less so.
- Should the ability to search multiple resources be done as separate search boxes or a single box with a dropdown to select the resource?
- Should the initial default page for a user be filtered for their Organisation (which could be their Branch, so is a reasonable default for many of both HQ & Field staff, where Branches are used) or should it be a set of New User instructions explaining the usage/terminology of the module (with perhaps a diagram) & a clear 'Personalise this Page' option which allows the user to configure the default filter settings for the page (e.g. Region/Country/Organisation/Branch/Office/Team)