|Version 17 (modified by 13 years ago) ( diff ),|
Documentation on the current implementation is here: http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php/dev:j2meclient
Blueprint for the J2ME client
J2ME is the most widespread environment for mobile devices (although may be overtaken by Android).
There should be a simple set of forms for data entry.
GPS coordinates should be taken automatically if available (inc via Bluetooth) or can be entered manually, where not available automatically.
The back-end transport is best done via SMS as this is cheap & widely-available.
- compressed multi-part SMS to get maximal throughput.
The forms should be updatable via SMS.
This would work like the one which comes with FrontlineSMS, but be Open, as well as Free:
JavaRosa is a fast-developing framework which uses XForms & J2MEPolish:
- XForms editors(written in GWT, so includable as a simple HTML page).
- PurcForms - can import the output from our controller, powerful but not for non-techies!
- OX-Designer - more basic, but pretty. No import yet. Built for OpenMRS (which ODK is too)
This supports using Mesh4j to do synchronisation via SMS:
KUIX can be used to develop lightweight applications which work across may handhelds & forms can be customised easily via XML/CSS:
Old, un-maintained J2ME client for the PHP back-end, which just uses XML-RPC (=> requires Internet):
OpenDataKit has joined JavaRosa to form http://bitbucket.org/javarosa/javarosa/wiki/OpenRosaAPI so can use same XForms on Adroid phones :)
For the J2ME side:
For the Python side:
- Intro: http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/Bluetooth-Programming-using-Python/