|Version 215 (modified by 9 years ago) ( diff ),|
Table of Contents
We define requirements:
Designs should focus on Usability:
We write Tests:
We keep code conventions to maximise readability & consistency:
Code should be able to perform well at scale:
- GIS - Mapping
- SVG - One way of producing Charts
- Templates for instance configuration
Web2Py can work at several different levels of abstraction.
The Sahana Eden framework (S3) is built on Web2Py's Auth/Crud classes in
tools.py (with some remnants of the older T2), however sometimes we need more control therefore need to drop down a level or two.
- Web2Py recommends the official book)
Recommend using the CLI to try out code snippets in the Web2Py environment (gluon, Model):
python web2py.py -S eden -M
Can execute a controller to be able to access its functions using:
- W3Schools' basic JS: http://www.w3schools.com/js/
- jQuery is used for client-side business logic (hiding fields, opening up tabs, etc):
- Tutorial 1: http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:How_jQuery_Works
- Tutorial 2: http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:Getting_Started_with_jQuery
- Main reference: http://docs.jquery.com
- We use some plugins: http://plugins.jquery.com
- & some Widgets: http://jqueryui.com
- ExtJS is used for some advanced widgets:
- S3 includes a cross-browser debug utility (only shows up when ?debug=1):
All global variables should be in the S3 namespace:
Private variables should be protected, e.g. using the Module Pattern:
Can test out the performance of different options to achieve a task using:
Can check quality using JSLint:
Browsers default to only downloading 2 files from the same origin at a time, so many files is very slow on high latency links.
We therefore consolidate into fewer, larger files when running in Production mode.
Although, note that iPhone 3.x cannot cache files larger than 15kb and in iPhone 4 the limit is 25kb. And this is the size before gzipping.
Since GIS is a specialised app which requires many files, it's JS is loaded separately when required.
The build script is
It needs to be run as a web2py script:
python web2py.py -S eden -M -R applications/eden/static/scripts/tools/build.sahana.py
There is also a convenience wrapper for Windows to run this:
You must have an internet connection to run the build script unless you have a local version of the Compiler.
Our build process is based on the one used by OpenLayers
This uses Google's Closure compiler to compress the JS. This is done using their web service, however for OpenLayers itself we need to download the jar file & place in the tools folder since this is over 1Mb:
ToDo: Investigate using other options instead:
ToDo: Download/execute scripts asynchronously:
- Android - Android clients
- Web2py Book
- Help for Developers Migrating from Sahana PHP
- Help for Developers Migrating from Django
- Tips - useful links to explore
These pages need to be sorted into their appropriate category on this page. (DeveloperGuidelines)