Table of Contents
Google Code In 2014 - 2015
Information for GCI Participants
Instructions and Guidelines
- Please sign our Contributor License Agreement before claiming or completing any tasks (even non-coding tasks).
- Please set your expectations from our mentors:
- We may take up to 24 hours to respond to task claim requests.
- We may take up to 36 hours to review submitted completed tasks.
- Please use our public mailing list (http://groups.google.com/group/sahana-eden) or IRC channel (#sahana-eden on irc.freenode.net or http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=sahana-eden&uio=d4) for all communications - no private messaging please - our mentors wil redirect you back to our public channels. This also lets you introduce yourself to the community. And if you post questions to the mailing list for the project you're working on, then many people will be available to answer, not just your mentor.
- Speaking of the mailing list...please do join the mailing list, as we will use it to post useful information. Look for [GCI] in the subject line, for messages about GCI. When you post, please use [GCI] in the subject as well, so that folks who are not participating know which to read.
- Note that Melange does notify mentors assigned to a task by e-mail whenever there is a status change or a comment made on a task. So you do not need to send an email to our lists when you claim or complete a task.
- Please be patient....
- The mentor for your project may be in a different timezone. They may be asleep, having dinner...
- Our mentors have lives, spouses, children, jobs, hobbies, exams...
- See the times above -- that gives the maximum response time, and a response might take that long.
How to do well in GCI
- Focus on adding value & helping rather than just completing tasks.
- If the mentors give you feedback (which we should!) be sure that you act on it!
- Students who make the extra effort, e.g. improve the wiki, help other students, will be more highly regarded than students who just complete tasks.
- GCI is for you to learn, and get a start in working on open source projects. It's a safe space for trying out things you don't yet know how to do.
- Get enough sleep! Don't neglect your schoolwork! Have fun!
Please read this, about how to use git and GitHub:
We have some differences for GCI, which are explained in detail here:
Admins and Mentors
Here is a list of admins and mentors with their IRC nicknames and timezones:
|Arnav Kumar Agrawal
Information for Mentors
Mentors: Adding New GCI Tasks
A Google Code-In task should be a small unit of work in one of the categories listed below. They should be clearly and well documented so that they are easy for students to complete (and should link to all the information which the student should need to complete the task) and give a full criteria for completion so it is easy for mentors to evaluation.
Tasks must be added to Sunflower under the following projects:
- Code : Sahana Eden Trunk Code
- Documentation : Sahana Eden Documentation
- Outreach-Research : Sahana Outreach
- UI : Sahana Eden User Interface
- Quality Assurance : Sahana Quality Assurance
When adding tasks, ensure that you have used the 'New' and 'GCI Task' tags upon creation.