|Version 43 (modified by 7 years ago) ( diff ),|
User Guidelines - Messaging
Table of Contents
This is the user guide for the current version of the Messaging module
NB The Scheduled task(s) needs to be enabled to both receive & send messages.
Message Log provides a central view for all the messages from different channels. The messaging view provides for option to *mark* or *whitelist/blacklist* senders.
How do I use Gmail to send outbound mail?
Uncomment these lines & put in the username/password that you wish to use:
#settings.mail.server = "smtp.gmail.com:587" #settings.mail.login = "username:password" #settings.mail.tls = True
What Hardware do I need?
If using an online gateway, then you don't need any hardware other than the network card :)
If you wish to be able to send messages without an Internet connection then you need a compatible device such as one from the following.
Hardware compatibility databases:
How do I use it?
1st you need to decide whether you will be using a local modem or an online gateway (e.g. Clickatell or Tropo).
This is configured by the Administrator in the Global message Settings:
The Gateway or Modem details are configured via their own panels.
Global provider - average price globally:
https://api.clickatell.com/http/sendmsg user=myusername&password=mypassword&api_id=myapi_id text to
Indian provider - cheap for local calls
http://api.mvaayoo.com/mvaayooapi/MessageCompose firstname.lastname@example.org:mypassword&senderID=TEST SMS&state=4 msgtxt receipientno
Provide an automated-attendant (IVR) service which supports Voice, Jabber (XMPP, e.g. GTalk) & Twitter as well as SMS.
- The Twitter/GTalk 'bots' are great for testing the system out without incurring call charges (suggest using the Jabber configuration in Tropo application rather than GTalk, although you can use GTalk as the client)
US Inbound number is free for development use so this is great for demos.
- no other local numbers available for SMS (UK numbers may be available upon special request)
They have helpful support forums.
Configure your Tropo token by copying the "Outbound Token" labeled "Messaging" into the text field at the following link (this allows outbound messaging from your app):
Inbound messages are collected in
controllers/msg.py by the tropo() function, so configure this URL into your Application on the Tropo site:L
Don't forget to add select "Add a new phone number," in order to reserve a phone number for incoming voice and messaging (in this case, messaging). This new number is the number that should be entered in, e.g. Android client (in versions with SMS support).
The incoming message can include mis-spelt keywords (since they are parsed by the
parserdooth() function which uses difflib).
How does it work?
Compose a new message. The autocomplete will find either Persons or Groups.
Contact numbers from Persons have non-numeric characters stripped & then a '+' is prefixed when using a local modem.
For gateway usage, a default Country Code is added to numbers which start with 0.
- Click on the menu option "RSS Setting" under the Messaging Administration menu.
(Or go to http://127.0.0.1:8000/eden/msg/rss_channel )
- Click on "Add RSS Setting".
- Enter the details in the form and submit it.
- Ensure the desired RSS Feeds are activated (can be done on the same page with the button on top).
- You can subscribe/unsubscribe using action buttons in the dataTable.
- All the RSS Feeds that are subscribed will be fetched into the RSS Feeds paage.
View RSS Feeds
- Click on the "RSS Feeds" option on the menu bar on the left.
Twitter can be searched or messages sent out/received.
- Get the authentication details for Twitter by signing in to https://dev.twitter.com
- Open 'My Applications' on the profile menu at top-right and create a new application
- Create an Access Token
- Click on the "Twitter Search Settings" option on menu on the left and create a new Settings
- Enter the details into the form.
- Click on the "Queries" option on the menu on the left under 'Twitter Search'.
- Add a Query with the keywords for your search.
- Include Entity information if you wish to analyze with KeyGraph
- Go back to the List View
- Click the 'Search' button
- Check the Results via the 'Results' menu
- If you wish to analyze with KeyGraph then you can select that option in the list of Queries (docs needed!)