|Version 97 (modified by 6 years ago) ( diff ),|
Table of Contents
An Introduction to SAMBRO (Sahana Alerting and Messaging Broker)
The user guide provides a set of step-by-step instructions from installing, customizing, and operationaizing SAMBRO software to issue and manage alerts. It is intended for all user levels: novices to experts. The guide is structured to take you through an actual implementation with real world examples and data.
How to use the Guide
The user guide is designed to quickly access relevant information for performing a user's role specific task. The topics are ordered such as that tthe most frequently used activities are listed first, like subscribing to alerts, and the seldom used, one time Admin type activities, are listed at the bottom. We have segmented the role specific work flow topics. If you are a particular user searching for a topic, first navigate to the type of user you are and then select the work flow activity:
- How to receive alerts? Steps for first registering in SAMBRO as a Subscriber (Closed User Group; e.g. first-responder) to receive location, event type, and warning priority specific messages as well as public alerts
- How to create, authorize, and disseminate alerts? Instructions for Alerting Authorities for managing the process of issuing alerts to Closed User Groups (CUGs) and the Public
- How to implement SAMBRO for your alerting needs? For Super Users to define the user roles/responsibilities, message qualifiers, message templates, first-responder groups, and standard operating procedures.
- How to install and operationalize SAMBRO software? Guides a Systems Administrator through installation and customization process to get SAMBRO up and running.
Role Specific Topics
While Sahana allows for defining various user roles and permissions to the customer's liking, SAMBRO has identified five major roles. The roles and their functions are defined in the table below
|Subscriber||Receiving alerts through defined communication modes||Edit own contact details (email, phone, name, ...)|
Subscribers (Alert Recipients)
CAUTION! SAMBRO has the option of subscribing to external feeds that can be rendered in the SAMBRO News Feeds column in the home page. That Implementation specific process should not be mistaken with the subscription work flows discussed in this section, which is specific to subscribing to SAMBRO feeds
There are two types of alert recipients: Public and CUGs. Public can subscribe to RRS/Atom and Social Media feeds. CUGs have all the previledges the pubic has plus other options to receive email and SMS alerts filtered by location, event type, and warning priority.
- RSS/Atom Feeds for your alert hub or RSS/Atom Reader for all alerts
- Email, SMS, FTP subscription to receive event and area specific alerts
- Social Media - link to Twitter, FaceBook news feeds applying the instructions given by the Administrator
- View Alerts and interpret them on a map and complete
Publishers (Alert Issuers)
The section discusses ways and means for creating a CAP message, having it authorized, and then issuing (or disseminating) to the subscribers
- Create a message for the first time and as a message originator
- Update a message using an existing message
- Cancel a message that has been wrongly issued or provided wrong information
- Clear a message when the event has subsided to inform the subscribers with an 'All Clear' message
- Authorize a message before issuing, posting or dissemination
- Testing the publishing of alerts
Implementers (Super Users)
Section is for CAP Implementers for orienting the CAP Broker in the country or implementation specific context.
- Manage Users by associating them with the relevant roles and alerting authority
- Edit First-Responder compulsory messaging lists to force messages (i.e. Admin/Implementer defined subscriber lists)
- Create Message Templates for categories of events and user groups
- Predefined Alert Area polygon and area description developments
- Update Register of Alerting Authorities; i.e. setup your organizational structure and alerting jurisdictions
- Define CAP implementation specific information such as Waring priorities, Event types, Incident tables, ...
- Configure Broker with identifier, warning priorities, and other relevant implementation or country context information
- Subscribe to external feeds to render other CAP, RSS/Atom, Social Media (Twitter, Facebook ...), or News Bulletines
- Testing the implementation after setup, configuration, and adding users
Steps for INSTALLING your SAMBRO instance
- [OPTIONAL] Branch an instance of the Sahana Eden code to a new github repository of your own. This would allow you to manage your own customized implementation such as with changing the theme. Ohterwise, ignore this step and pull the code from the main github repository; explained in the subsequent step.
- Activate the script to automatically pull the latest version of the code from your github repository.
- Install the Sahana Eden software with web2py framework and other dependencies.
ADD ACTUAL CODE SNIPPET TO CHANGE TEMPLATE SPECIFIC TO SAMBRO
Steps for CUSTOMIZING your SAMBRO instance
- Customize the CAP Broker for the implementation context (e.g Admin contact details, banner or logo changes
- Basic Administration tasks for activating an instance for the users
- Testing the installation to ensure all SAMBRO specific features are functional
Design and Specifications
For advance users or developers interested in the SAMBRO software design requirements and specifications are discussed in the
CAP Broker BluePrint