|Version 57 (modified by 11 years ago) ( diff ),|
Caution! Page being edited! Trac wiki does not support multiple editors.
Table of Contents
- Projects that do not involve programming
- Projects for beginning coders, or if new to Python or web services
- Projects for more experienced coders
Since we expect GHC2010 Codeathon participants to reflect diverse skills and expertise, we have identified a range of projects. Regardless of the amount of coding needed, all of these are useful!
Projects that do not involve programming
- Role-play being a user:
- Improve usability:
- Find bugs:
- Try to break it.
- Report bugs.
- Document it:
- Explore it and document the existing workflow.
- Develop a how-to guide for users.
- Write tooltips (help info) for fields on forms.
- What's missing?
- What did you want to do that wasn't available?
- Where is the workflow inconvenient?
- Request features and suggest improvements.
- Find bugs:
- Modules that could use some usability improvement:
- New or unfinished modules that would benefit from feature and workflow suggestions:
Help out with a current relief effort
- Pakistan floods
Improve installation procedures
- Step-by-step documentation -- we have been concentrating on Windows & Debian/Ubuntu so other distros are poorly-documented.
Projects for beginning coders, or if new to Python or web services
- Pick from these easy bugs for new Eden developers.
Do feature enhancements
- Fix UI issues, add features, provide user-requested enhancements.
- The landing page for each module is different -- some have descriptive text, others have statistics (a "dashboard"). Each has a different layout of menus.
- Are any of these landing pages useful? What would be better? Maybe go straight to a list page? Make appropriate changes.
- Is there a common sort of menu that would be useful?
A favorite missing feature: Geocoding addresses. There is already a geocoding service supported in Eden, but it's not used when a user adds a location. Your job:
- Find the geocoding function.
- When the user adds a location and enters an address, use the geocoding function to get latitude and longitude.
- Installation scripts or packages for operating systems and distributions that aren't already available (i.e. other than Windows or Debian/Ubuntu).
Projects for more experienced coders
Some things to keep in mind when planning new modules or major features:
- Consider what other FOSS tools exist, that could be installed alongside Eden.
- Look at tools and libraries already in use in Eden, e.g. jQuery and ExtJS for UI work.
- Figure out how to do unit tests against a web application.
- Write unit and functional tests.
Tweet or SMS parsing -- allow users to provide info via tweets or SMS messages
- Parse formatted SMS messages or tweets (e.g. key value pairs).
- Detect when message interpretation isn't certain and dispatch to a human reader (use existing "task" database, or Job Jar, below!).
- Create database records from parsed messages.
Job Jar -- manage tasks performed on the site, e.g. data entry
- Assign tasks to users or let users select tasks.
- Track who does what, mark completed.
- Provide administrator UI for defining tasks.
- Cross-check / verify task, or compare result of two users on same task.
- Administer tests and training for new workers.
Upload photos or video from a smart phone
- Design a widget (to be included in an Eden form) that can be used to select images or video, with any needed detection of the type of phone.
Run Eden on a smart phone
- See BluePrintMobileClient.
- Alternate Layout for web view: BluePrintCSS
- Android Application: MobileAndroid
- Note this GHC session on Android development!
Chat with other logged in users
- Provide a chat board through which users can help each other.
- Perhaps have one chat for each organization or project.
- Is there existing IRC or other chat software that could be incorporated?
Refactor and complete the Survey module
The survey module was started during GSoC this summer. The author will be online on freenet #sahana-ghc during the Codeathon.
- Change it so that it uses "components" to relate survey sections to the survey, and questions to the survey sections.
- Pakistan Organisations.csv (22.9 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- SahanaCamp Simulation.doc (2.1 MB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - Home.jpg (152.0 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - Dashboard.jpg (134.6 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - List.jpg (178.4 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - List Add.jpg (128.5 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - Components.jpg (93.8 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Haiti Organisations.csv (130.9 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- DRR Project Portal Organisations.csv (242.6 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Organisation Collation from GCI Task 1.xls (255.5 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.
- Icons.zip (508.5 KB ) - added by 11 years ago.