|Version 52 (modified by 12 years ago) ( diff ),|
Caution! Page being edited! Trac wiki does not support multiple editors.
Table of Contents
- Projects that do not involve programming
- Projects for beginning coders, or if new to Python or web services
- Projects for more experienced coders
Since we expect GHC2010 Codeathon participants to reflect diverse skills and expertise, we have identified a range of projects. Regardless of the amount of coding needed, all of these are useful!
Projects that do not involve programming
- Role-play being a user:
- Improve usability:
- Find bugs:
- Try to break it.
- Report bugs.
- Document it:
- Explore it and document the existing workflow.
- Develop a how-to guide for users.
- Write tooltips (help info) for fields on forms.
- What's missing?
- What did you want to do that wasn't available?
- Where is the workflow inconvenient?
- Request features and suggest improvements.
- Find bugs:
- Modules that could use some usability improvement:
- New or unfinished modules that would benefit from feature and workflow suggestions:
Help out with a current relief effort
- Pakistan floods
Improve installation procedures
- Step-by-step documentation -- we have been concentrating on Windows & Debian/Ubuntu so other distros are poorly-documented.
Projects for beginning coders, or if new to Python or web services
- Pick from these easy bugs for new Eden developers.
Polish existing modules
- Fix UI issues, add features, provide user-requested enhancements.
- A favorite missing feature: Geocoding addresses. There is already a geocoding service supported in Eden, but it's not used when a user adds a location. Your job:
- Find the geocoding function.
- When the user adds a location, use the geocoding function to get latitude and longitude when the user
- Installation scripts or packages for operating systems and distributions that aren't already available (i.e. other than Windows or Debian/Ubuntu).
Projects for more experienced coders
Some things to keep in mind when planning new modules or major features:
- Consider what other FOSS tools exist, that could be installed alongside Eden.
- Look at tools and libraries already in use in Eden, e.g. jQuery and ExtJS for UI work.
- Figure out how to do unit tests against a web application.
- Write unit and functional tests.
Tweet or SMS parsing -- allow users to provide info via tweets or SMS messages
- Parse formatted SMS messages or tweets (e.g. key value pairs).
- Detect when message interpretation isn't certain and dispatch to a human reader (use existing "task" database, or Job Jar, below!).
- Create database records from parsed messages.
Job Jar -- manage tasks performed on the site, e.g. data entry
- Assign tasks to users or let users select tasks.
- Track who does what, mark completed.
- Provide administrator UI for defining tasks.
- Cross-check / verify task, or compare result of two users on same task.
- Administer tests and training for new workers.
Upload photos or video from a smart phone
- Design a widget (to be included in an Eden form) that can be used to select images or video, with any needed detection of the type of phone.
Run Eden on a smart phone
- See BluePrintMobileClient.
- Alternate Layout for web view: BluePrintCSS
- Android Application: MobileAndroid
- Note this GHC session on Android development!
Chat with other logged in users
Refactor and complete the Survey module
- Pakistan Organisations.csv (22.9 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- SahanaCamp Simulation.doc (2.1 MB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - Home.jpg (152.0 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - Dashboard.jpg (134.6 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - List.jpg (178.4 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - List Add.jpg (128.5 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Sahana Eden - Components.jpg (93.8 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Haiti Organisations.csv (130.9 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- DRR Project Portal Organisations.csv (242.6 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Organisation Collation from GCI Task 1.xls (255.5 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.
- Icons.zip (508.5 KB ) - added by 12 years ago.